Reflecting on the Editing!!
Context: In this post, I'll be discussing the effectiveness of each option in Scene #1, specifically from an editor's perspective, and why I decided to color-code it.
Original Scene #1 - Blue = Unsure, Must Try
What works: Analyzing the scene as the first shot, you can see that the focus immediately centers on the moving protagonist, which raises questions and relates to the mystery. However, placing it in this moment doesn't feel right. When I viewed it after editing, I realized that it not only looks forced but also doesn't grab attention. Especially since the beginning isn't explained in such a dark way, I feel like we're forcing the genre instead of letting it flow naturally. Furthermore, its abruptness meant that when I edited the subsequent shots, they didn't provide the audience with any context or time to analyze.
Scene 1 With 1st Coverage Shot - Red/Blue = I don't feel it's going to work, but I must try.
What works: Placing this scene as the first image provides a clearer context of where we are, alluding to the poster which simultaneously lends credibility, suggesting that something is going to happen, "Trapped." While editing, I realized that it establishes the mystery right there; however, it still feels out of place because it remains forced. And when I was putting it in context with the other shots, it was still too fast, creating more confusion than mystery. Furthermore, the purpose of focusing on the door is not entirely clear.
Scene 1 With 2nd Coverage Shot - Purple = Possible shot, or it can work.
What works: This scene is creative and immerses the audience because they feel like they have the same perspective as the character, experiencing and feeling that something is happening, creating mystery about why they are running, why they are in that place. I like it because it creates a moment of tension that increases and constantly draws the audience in. However, when I was editing, I noticed that it didn't complement the other shots very well, since the change of context happens too quickly and the connection to the same character isn't clear, which could risk losing our narrative.
Scene 1 With Both Coverage Shots - Yellow = Favorite Shots:
To be honest, this option was the most unexpected. At first, I thought it wouldn't work because there would be too much transition in too little time, and the audience would get lost. It would even highlight the weaknesses of each shot. However, after editing and reviewing it repeatedly, I realized the effect was completely the opposite, reflecting the importance of trying the Editing Tips Blog. Specifically, when I started shaping it, I analyzed and realized that placing the outside shot created immersion, and the following shot with the door implied that the same person was entering, creating context while increasing the mystery.
Takeaway: editing changes the perspectives of a shot, and its effects depend on how I shape it and the decisions I make about what to include and how I'm guiding the narrative, all editing adapting to our goals and context.








No comments:
Post a Comment