Reflecting on the Editing!!
Context: In my previous post on Editing elements: Implementation, I brought the previously learned concepts and plans into reality to a certain degree. This post will be reflecting on each possible option and how I arrived at a specific classification, all focusing from an editor's perspective.
Original Scene #2- Blue= Unsure, must try:

Shot of the Editing folder, where not coverage shots were used.

Shot of the Editing section, where not coverage shots were used.
This option, although not bad on its own at first glance, revealed a gap in the narrative's logic when I edited it. The shots didn't follow the established structure, and visually it looked strange and awkward, rushed and cutting in the middle of actions that created discomfort, distancing the audience from the emotion because it was too abrupt, instead of gradually intensifying it (challenging our purpose of including thriller conventions).
Scene #2 with Coverage Shots- Yellow= Favorite shot:
Shot of the Editing folder, where the Coverage shot was implemented.
Shot of the Editing section, where the Coverage shot was implemented.
What works: This shot adds much more context to the narrative. The shots create coherence of actions and develop the progression and intensification of Maria's emotions, giving space to understand the actions and reactions. It also gives the audience the opportunity to connect with the story since it feels like a real reaction (especially because the feelings appeal to real circumstances, like the frustration we've all experienced at some point, thus fulfilling the purpose of a thriller, which, as explained in the elements of this genre (blog), is to emphasize reality). However, there is a drawback: I need to improve the editing, as it looks choppy. I need to control the timing so that it looks like a continuous action and not just another separate shot.
Takeaways & Lessons: While editing, my perspective shifted because I realized that the location where the shot was planned and implemented changed circumstances and effects, unlike scene 1, where the priority was to attract attention and create mystery. The purpose of this scene was to intensify emotions and context to create a more direct connection with the audience, changing the structure to follow, and until I edit them, I was able to really see how it changes the context and the scene as a whole.


No comments:
Post a Comment