Friday, February 27, 2026

Shot List- Editing Elements (Planning Scene #2)

                                                               Plan for the Edit!!

This scene is more based on following previously established thriller conventions within our genre.

Therefore, more emotion is required. This is clear in the script and shot list, and the cinematographer and director were able to plan shots that emphasize this. So, as editor, I planned that the coverage shots had to give more impact to the action, in a way that doesn't seem forced but rather an increase of tension and that feeling that we're trying to evoke (confusion, rage, despair) for the audience while maintaining logic.

Notes: -Being the second scene with the most shots, we decided that it wasn't necessary to have many coverage shots. As editor, this seemed like the best decision to me, since I didn't want to pressure or force anything because that would be the opposite of what I had previously learned in "Structure to ensure a successful editing process (Planning)" and my role itself.

-Use the Clapboard to emphasize the only difference with a C.

Plan Structure:

1) Original Scene

2) Scene 2 with the Coverage Shot

Coverage Shot Plan (Idea Shape with the Director): Emphasize a logical transition between feelings, hand actions showing motive, and facial movements showing reaction. Slow but quick transition.

-The image below shows how I put these same thoughts and plan on a slide to remind myself while editing.

In this plan I adapted the OnScreen drafting, since it still has different options to choose from but in a creatively controlled way.

Takeaways & Lessons: By clearly planning when to record (the shot size) and what's the coverage shot, I can prepare to leave appropriate space in the editing and visualize how I can adapt it smoothly.

No comments:

Post a Comment