Thursday, November 6, 2025

Practical tips to keep in mind while editing (Research)

Now that I know what's editing, it's important to keep expert tips in mind so I can gradually understand more and do my job as an editor on this project well.

After a decent amount of research, I was able to identify the most important tips (for me).

I got them from sources such as Adobe: Intro to Editing, and they're also confirmed by the video I added.

1) Organize your footage: This involves maintaining essential organization throughout the entire process. As film editor Maurissa Horwitz says, "If you don't set up your project and your media in an organized way, it will kill you in the long run." But to be more precise, what I learned about this is keeping things clearly labeled and separated by categories.

2) Watch everything: This involves keeping a constant eye on everything, even scenes that seem like mistakes, since sometimes the best things and unexpectedly beautiful moments are there. This is supported by writer and filmmaker David Andrew Stoler, who says: “Watch every single thing from the beginning to the end, because you never know…”. plus is fundamental to understand what we're dealing with.

3) Be consistent: When shooting the video footage, we must keep in mind the timeline, frame rates, and frame size. We shouldn't combine a bunch of differences into one (especially if you're a beginner like me), at least when we're starting, and always ask the question, does this order align with the initial idea for this video/film?

4) Refine: This involves reviewing it again and again to make sure everything makes sense (cohesive work) this is done with the purpose of resemble the work and do it until you're happy with the result.

5) Save the work: Always, and I mean always, is fundamental to check that we're saving all the work in either the cloud or on a hard drive, since at the end of the day we don't want to lose all our work.

10 Video Editing Tips Every Editor Should Know!




No comments:

Post a Comment