Tuesday, February 24, 2026

Shot List- Shot Size (Research)

                                                                    Shoot for the Edit!!

Context: In the previous blog post on Coverage Shot (Research), I explained what this is and why it works in our production.

Continuing, after further research, I've found that a fundamental element for determining a good coverage shot, and how I can choose for editing, is through understanding/identifying shot sizes.

What is the importance of shot sizes in editing?

In the post-production phase, I must combine various proportioned shot sizes and my job is to craft them in the editing process to give their rhythm, perspective, impact/effect, story beats, and focus wanted.

For this reason, in Pre-Production it must be planned with the crew (director and cinematographer) together to be clear about where the coverage shots and their respective shot sizes would be best in all the shots.

And in the production phase, look at and analyze the content to its tone, mood, perspective and see what is best (increase my perception and intuition as an editor).

This type of decision has three outstanding effects:

- It builds visual continuity and a unique perception.

- It intensifies or relieves tension by controlling the shape or degree of proximity given by the shot, since when editing, I choose what to prioritize (perfect for controlling the mystery genre).

- It directs narrative understanding.

- It directs the emotional engagement of the audience (Thriller genre conventions).

Every Shot Size Explained- StudioBinder

Takeaways from the video: A clear difference in mind: coverage is determined by what is captured in the camera frame, while shot size is the composition and relationship of the recorded subject (the shot size is determined by the placement of the camera and the visual storytelling learned in Elements of Storytelling in Opening Scenes (Research)), so I give shape to it.

Lesson: When it comes the time for planning, I must keep in mind the role of shot sizes- specially in coverage shots, to maintain our genre convention, narrative elements, and target audience.
This research work for our production and me, because it help me make decision in editing, but also experiment with shots that can improve our opening scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment