Tuesday, February 17, 2026

Shot list and it's relationship with the Editing process (Research)

                                                                 Shoot for the Edit!!

Context: While the cinematographer was creating the shot list based on the script, I had the idea that I should play with the story.

To be more specific, I suggested including more shots than we needed at key points like the beginning or the end, since having a variety to choose from would allow me to implement my sense of what feels right and/or what's best for the opening scene flow (which can reflect what I've read in previous blogs such as in the Structure to ensure a successful editing process (Planning)) and also to have the opportunity to give shape to the story provided while making sure that the narrative elements are prioritized in the correct order (last blogpost)

Now, after doing some research about this idea, I found out that it actually call Shoot for the Edit, which correlates with the connection of Plan to shoot, shoot the plan.

After asking permission from our instructor and director, the idea was approved. Now I'm working on that plan with the cinematography (planning blog coming).


My takeaway from this video is that preparing extra shots beforehand helps expand my visual and narrative field, allowing the story to make sense but with different possible endings or changes, one advice that I will plan to implement is that not every alternative shot should be try unless I feel to try it, but once I'm confident, I should check with the production team, and if approved I should leave it like that and not second guessed.

How to Shoot for the Edit- Zach Ramelan

Lessons: Playing with editing is experiencing that the "What if?" scenario is real and the outcomes may be surprising, engaging and attractive, however keeping it clean and organize is imperative to satisfy the genre conventions.

No comments:

Post a Comment