Context: In my previous blog post, "Screen Draft (Research)," I identified an effective way to practice editing.
First, I don't have enough time to recreate the entire narrative in a film draft, so I plan only to do this in the first scene. Furthermore, I can implement what I learned from the shot list and its relation to the "Editing (Planning 1)" blog post to structure it in a way that stays true to the same concept.
So here's the plan: I need to analyze the feeling evoked while shooting the first scene and use the color code(to signal the shots) to plan its structure. I'll take the shots from the first scene and edit them into a preview of how it will look. The idea is to create at least three previews to choose the best one (as implementing one of my takeaways form the video 3 is the magic number to visualize some of your possibilities to be the editor of the story)
1st Time: edit the way it was written
2nd: Include alterations of possible scenes, maybe pauses, change the time frame, make one shot longer or shorter (play it with the footage)
3rd: Pick only necessary alteration that you feel it rights, and that helps to establish relationship, without pressuring the narrative to move or forcing the feeling on the audience.
Other reasons, of why I decided to do this while filming the second scene is because:
1- Since these are the first moments of the opening scene, I need to make sure they adhere to the conventions of the genres (learned from Thriller and mystery study genres blogs).
2- Establish what feels best to provide a foundation for the second scene, in a way that looks cohesive but not complete.
3- I can determine which color palette to use and why, which cuts I can implement, and most importantly, how long this first scene takes on average so I can calculate the average of the time for the second scene based on this, allowing me to make decisions ahead of time about what to remove and what to keep. I can also practice the features of the new application. More information will be available in a future research blog about the app that will be used.
Takeaways and lessons: Now that I created a plan on how to implement this method, I can be more assured that my editing skills will develop, and that these edits to the editing are necessary to create a good outcome.
No comments:
Post a Comment