Monday, March 9, 2026

Visual Cuts & Transitions (Implementation for Scene 1)

                                                        Implement the Editing!!

Context: In my two previous blog posts (Visual Cuts & Transitions Research and *Planning for Scene 1) I outlined the editing elements that I will be implementing in this post.

Lesson/correction #1: In my initial plan, I intended to use "blinking cuts," but this was a mistake. While editing, I learned that I actually needed to split this process into two parts:

-Cut scene 1-C-2 into various fragments that would allow me to incorporate the "fade to black"—a specific transition—in a way that felt right and cohesive.

Note: This shot is the only one in this scene that will feature multiple cuts, and the whole scene currently has no audio, with the purpose of implementing my Editing Tips blog of focusing on the visual and be able to analyze them properly.

So, here is the implementation:

In the image below, it shows how I began cutting the shot.

Cuts in Scene 1-C-2

In the image below, it shows how I implemented the "fade to black" transition across these cuts.

Fade to black transitions implemented in the previous established cuts.

Note: the orange represents the transition and the yellow the cuts.

After reviewing the footage for a while, I decided to implement the idea of ​​having the "fade to black" begin both before and after the shot itself is displayed. And as a way of compelling the coverage shot to coverage shot to the rest of shots. (Image below shows this)

 
Fade to black to show transitions between shots


2) Implementation of match cut- See the extract below

Match Cut in the last fragment of scene 1

I also want to emphasize more the importance of the name of the book that appear in the corner so I did some cuts (see image below) to add  fade to black again, and then I duplicate the shot were the book appear and zoom it a little bit more (see 2nd image below)

Cuts and Transitions (Fade to black)

Previous shot show acronym of the title of the book.

Duplicate shot of the previous one, with zoom in the book to emphasize the acronym.


Next: we change Scene 1-C-1 to the same concept different shot because we want more context, narrative, mystery by following POV that happen in 1-C-2 and then cohesively transition to a third POV , also we were able to include the credits in a smooth way, and fix the spelling mistake that I make in the poster that appear in the door in 1-C-1 original 
Problem: 
1-C-1 Original

Solution:
1-C-1 Correction

Assemble: The extract below shows scene 1 with the implementations of all the cuts, and transitions.

Scene 1 with Editing elements implemented

Note: In an upcoming blog post, I will reflect on what worked and what didn't, as well as the decisions I made based on this implementation process.

Takeaways & Lessons: By working with a structure and editing step by step, I generated ideas during the process that awakened my editorial sensibility and helped improve the narrative; when I pieced the fragments together, it became evident how each change even the smalls one affected (give shape) to the entire scene. Highlighting the importance of the Editing Process.

No comments:

Post a Comment